Students can elect to pursue a co-terminal degree providing an opportunity for students to gain greater knowledge in specialized areas while completing a smaller number of credit hours with better scheduling flexibility than completion of the two degrees separately. Co-terminal degrees offered in chemistry include:
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and Master of Food Safety and Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and Master of Science in Biology for the Health Professions
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and Master of Science in Chemistry
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and Master of Science in Chemical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and Master of Science in Sustainability Management
Chemistry at Illinois Tech
Chemistry is the study of the miniaturized world of atoms and molecules. Chemists analyze the structure of this world of chemicals, discover the forces that govern chemical changes, and invent chemical reactions which create new molecules and materials for the benefit of mankind. For example, most of the clothes we wear and the containers that hold our food are made of synthetic fibers and polymers that were conceived and developed by chemists. Life-saving pharmaceuticals are designed and synthesized by chemists. The development of insecticides, cosmetics, fragrances, fertilizers, and high tech materials are other examples of the impact of chemistry on society.
At IIT, students become well trained for industrial careers in research and development, chemical analysis, or chemical manufacturing and marketing. The IIT chemistry programs also provide excellent pre-professional training for careers in medicine, law, business, and other areas of science and healthcare.